SBU Guidelines for online bridge
These useful documents are available onthe SBU web site. Please note they'll probably be updated from time to time so keep an eye on them. https://www.sbu.org.uk/tournaments/playing-online/guidelines-for-players
How to BBO
If you're not quite sure how playing on Bridgebase Online works, here are a few tips:
Before you begin!
In order to make sure you are "recognised" as a member of SBU East District on BBO it is essential that you add your BBO ID into your Mempad account.
How do you do that?
- Sign on to MEMPAD
- Select "MY CONTACTS" on the tab towards the top your screen
- Select "EDIT", scroll about two thirds the way down the page, and type your BBO name in the labelled box
- While you are on this "EDIT" page please check all your other contact details are up to date.
Once you're all registered, here's what to do:
- No earlier than 2 hours before the start time of the event — LOG ON to BBO using their app or at bridgebase.com — do this as early as you can within this two hour window
- Enter the Competitive area and select 'All Tournaments'
- Use the Search facility at the top of the list to enter SBU which will help you to find the tournament (you will only be able to see the event details in the two hours before the event)
- This shows you the basics for the event and the cost. You can choose to pay for your partner here if you wish. However you do it, make sure there are enough BBO$ in your accounts
- Register by typing in your partner's BBO name and invite them - you can only do this if you're both online
- Avoid selecting 'Play with Robot' instead of 'Invite' ... it's easily done!
- Once you've registered you can sign off from BBO but you must be logged in 10 minutes before the tournament due to start. You can register on one device and come back to play on another no problem, but make sure you are logged in with plenty time to spare.
- Beware! If BBO thinks you are 'away' it may log you out. Typically if you switch around between tabs or applications to do something else while you wait, you may well find that BBO has logged you out and that the tournament start is delayed while the TD tries to contact you. Be kind to your TDs and fellow players and once logged in to play, please don't stray